is transforming into a completely new entity with the union of Blogging/WordPress & Social Media leading the way. Everyday in the news we see new ways that social networks have changed the lives of millions of people. If Facebook and Twitter were actual countries, they would be the third and fifth largest in the world. Can your business afford not to reach out to these hundreds of millions of users?
WordPress makes it easy to add social marketing into your website because it supports every social network that you have heard of, as well as several that you probably haven’t! The demographics of your target market will help you decide which social platforms you should target. For instance, if your target audience is using Foursquare and twitter more than Facebook, then you should place more resources on those two than Facebook.
Facebook and WordPress
In July of 2011, Facebook has more than 750 million active users.
Facebook is simply too large to be ignored. Companies are now starting to realize that they should have started their Facebook campaigns a year ago. WordPress makes it easy to push/pull content between Facebook and your website.
Popular Facebook Plugins
- All in one Facebook Plugins for WordPress including Like Button, Recommendations, Activity Feed, Like Box, Facepile, Live Stream, Comments, Login with Faces.
- The FB Like Button Plugin for WordPress allows you to configure and display the Facebook Like Button before and/or after each post and/or page, and whether or not you want the button to appear on your homepage.
Twitter and WordPress
200 million tweets and handling over 1.6 billion search queries per day.
Twitter is an online social networking and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based posts of up to 140 characters, informally known as “tweets”. Twitter was created in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey and launched in July of that year. Twitter rapidly gained worldwide popularity, with 200 million users as of 2011, generating over 200 million tweets and handling over 1.6 billion search queries per day. It is sometimes described as the “SMS of the Internet.”
- Post to Twitter is a plugin that creates a complete integration between your WordPress blog and your Twitter account.
- Twitter friends is a widget that allows you to give love to the people who follow you on Twitter. You can choose different display styles of picture only or picture, username, and most recent tweet.
- Twitter Widget Pro is a widget that properly handles twitter feeds, including @username, #hashtag, and link parsing. It supports displaying profiles images, and even lets you control whether to display the time and date of a tweet or how long ago it happened.
Foursquare and WordPress
In June 2011, the company reported it had 10 million users. The company was expected to pass 750 million check-ins before the end of June 2011, averaging 3 million check-ins per day.
Foursquare is a location-based, social networking website based on hardware for mobile devices. The service is available to users with GPS enabled mobile devices such as smartphones. Users “check-in” at venues using a mobile website, text messaging, or a device-specific application by running the application and selecting from a list of venues that the application locates nearby. Each check-in awards the user points and sometimes “badges”. 50 percent of users come from outside the US and 50 percent of users are female.
- My Foursquare makes it easy to show off your Foursquare badges and mayorship on your WordPress blog. My Foursquare is also available as a Facebook app and an embed code so you can use it on any website.
Popular Social Media Plugins
Of course, WordPress offers may thousands of plugins for social platforms; here are two of the most popular:
- Used on over 1,000,000 sites, the ShareThis plugin allows users to share your content through email and 50+ social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon and Google Buzz. Now with simultaneous sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Email and more, you can broadcast your message more easily and widely than ever before.
- Though the name may be a little “edgy” for some, SexyBookmarks has proven to be an extremely useful and successful tool in getting your readers to actually submit your articles to numerous social bookmarking sites.
Using WordPress as your publishing platform will allow you to easily share your content with your social media networks.